Friday, April 13, 2012

Civilian Conservation Corps/Prisoner of War Recreational Hall

The Civilian Conservation Corps/Prisoner of War Recreational Hall, Eldora, Iowa,  built in November, 1933 circa,  was used by Companies 1755 Camp Flying Goose (November, 1933-July, 1935) and Company 1752 The Erosioners (July, 1935-1942).  In the fall of 1943, it is recorded that Italian Prisoners of War from Missouri came up and lived in the old CCC campsite to help harvest hemp from the fields for two of Iowa's hemp mills, Iowa Falls and Grundy Center.  When the harvest was completed and the camp made ready for the German Prisoners they returned to Missouri.   In mid-1944, German Prisoners of War came from the Algona PW Camp to work in the Marshall Canning Factories in the surrounding communities of Ackley, Hampton, Reinbeck, and Marshalltown.  They also helped local farmers in several communities on their farms and with harvest.  German prisoners of war remained in the Eldora campsite until the war was over in 1946.

The CCC/POW Recreational Hall is the last original building of the campsite.  It remains in the same location north of the Eldora Cemetery in Eldora, Iowa.  The Recreational Hall is currently a "T" shaped building with a beautiful sandstone fireplace on the north side of the building.  It may be viewed from 11th Avenue of the Hardin County Fairgrounds.  Renovations started in 2009 and continue.  Watch for future postings and more information about the CCC, POWs, Pine Lake, and the military museum that is currently underway.

1 comment:

  1. Great news! The Barlow Family Foundation (BFF) of the Iowa Falls State Bank has invited Youth to Restore the CCC/POW Building (YRCPB) to participate in a Community Challenge fund-raising project that would result in the BFF matching our donations up to $50,000.

    For two weeks in October (October 6-17), all qualified donations to Youth to Restore the CCC/POW Building will result in matching money by the Barlow Family Foundation. The donations must be from individuals, with a minimum contribution of $25 and maximum contributions of $100 per person.

    The mission of YRCPB is to protect and preserve the architectural integrity and history of the Civilian Conservation Corps/Prisoner of War Recreational Hall. To develop appropriate use and interpretation as a historical and educational treasure for the benefit of future generations. This original Recreational Hall is the only one left in the United States that was used by both Civilian Conservation Corps (1933-1942) and Prisoners of War (1943-1945). Listed on the National Historic Register in 2012.

    Your help is needed to raise $20,000 in this two week period. Barlow Family Foundation will match that amount, giving us the money we need to finish the renovation of the Civilian Conservation Corps/Prisoner of War Rec Hall and Museum. Please consider helping us with this Community Challenge! Donations need to be deposited by October 17th.

    Checks may be made out to: CCC/POW Project and sent to the Iowa Falls State Bank - 601 Washington Avenue - Iowa Falls, IA 50126 .

    Facebook: Civilian Conservation Corps/POW Rec Hall